Sunday, March 8, 2009

Trying to do my part

Five years ago, my ex-wife and I found a pitbull pup running down the side of the road. He was very cute, and he had the best personality ever. We tried to locate his owner, but no one ever claimed the little guy. The first night he was i n our house, we put him in the basement with our big lab/rotti mix , Bridger. We pit up a baby gate and went off to bed. The next morning, I awoke to his goofy little butt snuggled up under the blankets between my legs. It seems, the basement wasn't good enough for him. This was the first pit I had for a pet, and we ended up naming him Vinnie. He was daddy's boy from then on.
Over the next 5 years, Jordan, my ex now, and I took in at least 15 pits and assorted other animals. The pits, however, were our love. Never have I been more fulfilled than during this time. We had a tragedy on Christmas eve a couple of years back, and we learned the hard way that sometimes we wouldn't be able to save them all. We did save a lot of them though. My wife cried everytime we located one a home, but she knew that that was the goal. We couldn't keep them all anymore than we could save them all. This blogsite is the continuation of the time we spent together, and my attempt to help all the pets castoff like so much trash.

No comments:

Post a Comment